Thursday, May 04, 2017

Poetry Friday -- Hippos


Hippos on Holiday
by Billy Collins

is not really the title of a movie
but if it were I would be sure to see it.
I love their short legs and big heads,
the whole hippo look.
Hundreds of them would frolic
in the mud of a wide, slow-moving river,
and I would eat my popcorn
in the dark of a neighborhood theatre.
When they opened their enormous mouths
lined with big stubby teeth
I would drink my enormous Coke.

I would be both in my seat
and in the water playing with the hippos,
which is the way it is
with a truly great movie.
Only a mean-spirited reviewer
would ask on holiday from what?



Surely you've seen videos of the premature baby hippo at the Cincinnati Zoo, Fiona? No? Well, let's take care of that with my favorite one where she learns to use the ramp into her pool.





I'm sorry I didn't get around to all the the end of Poetry Month posts last week. This weekend feels like there's more elbow room than I've had in months. To that I say, "WHEW!"

Jama has the Cinco de Mayo Poetry Friday Roundup at Jama's Alphabet Soup. Olé!


20 comments:

  1. I loved the hippo video Mary Lee, I'm a sucker for any kind of animal inspired art and writing. And of course "Hippos on Holiday" is fun, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, a little more elbow room, and maybe some actual breathing! So much hippo goodness here, an enormous mouthful. I'll hippohop back around to finish the Malvina project as the month progresses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary Lee, as long as they aren't stampeding, I love hippos. I love the way Sandra Boynton transforms them. Hippo Birdie Two Ewes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The hippo is such a fascinating creature. This is a great share to kick off the month of May. Thanks, Mary Lee!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute little creatures!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had not seen Fiona -- love those little ears! Thanks for the poem and adorable video.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hippos are amazing - on the surface they seem so slow and lazy, but oh boy, you don't want to make them angry!

    Fiona is such a little sweetie! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a slight obsession with that tiny hippo. (Hah. Tiny. She's a solid wee beastie, our Fiona.) Of course, she's on holiday on nothing just yet, but give her time...

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is something else going on in Collins' poem, and I love that, and Fiona's little ears, like Jama, are darling. Thanks, Mary Lee. Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I could watch Fiona all day...and chuckle at Collins' poem...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Whew! I needed hippos today. I'm joining Collins in that theater to watch hippos play.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fiona is a great name for her, so personable and charming. Glad you are on holiday, as well as the hippos!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a first for me for both the poem and the video--both delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love baby Fiona and that Billy Collins! Christie @ https://wonderingandwondering.wordpress.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Baby Hippo is so adorable and I love the care the trainers give her. Billy Collins' Hippos on Holiday poem was delightful. I am feeling a bit overwhelmed myself these days. There never seems enough time to read everything. I still had my PF opened from last week because I did not finish reading then. Looks like that I am in the same boat this week.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ha! what a great poem. I haven't seen this one before. And, it goes so well with the video. You are always clever and always sensitive to your and our world. I love that!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The way Billy Collins' mind works is so great.

    ReplyDelete
  18. In this current issue of Kid's Imagination Train ezine: http://www.kidsimaginationtrain.com, find out fun facts about hippos!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awwww.... glad you're easing back into the pool, too, Mary Lee. Glad you're enjoying a bit more elbow room!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Cuddly Fiona is new to me, Mary Lee - only excuse is work in my cave of writing. And glad for your newfound elbow room. Enjoy & hope it continues.

    I think the Billy Collins poem is fun!
    It also makes me think about hippos in the wild & the World Wildlife Fund & other groups, helping them.
    Hip-hipp hurray for this post!

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.