Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Mother




Mother

This picture haunts me.
It's as if
I sealed my fate

in a moment of silliness
prompted by the photographer.
The blind date

with the man who would be your father
was that same night.
I was blind indeed. And he didn't wait

a single minute for my good sense to return.
Almost before I realized it,
I was hitched and whisked away

to that wretched farm.
His conquest
was my doomsday.

I won't try to stop you, Iva.
Neither will I come rescue you.
It is your life to waste.


©Mary Lee Hahn, 2016



5 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:16 PM

    This series of poems are so interesting! I look forward to reading them. You've inspired me to try this with some old photos I've inherited as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great build to the searing words in the final stanza!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't expect that ending! You packed a whole novel in this poem, Mary Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:29 AM

    Ohhhh! Excellent, Mary Lee.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.