Tuesday, May 06, 2014

Some New Books in Our Favorite Series

It has been a great few months for new books about some of our favorite characters.  I love getting new books in the classroom.  I especially love getting books by authors we love and about characters we love.  Series books are key for 3rd graders. I've seen so many kids become readers because of a series they fall in love with. So I like to keep our popular series baskets up to date.  It is fun to see 3rd graders anticipate an upcoming book. It is even more fun when a student comes up to me and says expectantly, "The new Magic Bone book is out and we don't have it yet," then waits patiently while I order it on Amazon.

These are a few of the new books in our classroom--books that are about characters we already love!

Lulu's Mysterious Mission--This may be my favorite book in the series. It took me a while to get used to the new illustrations but I ended up loving them!  A really great read!

The Pigeon Needs a Bath! Who can't love the Pigeon every time?

Judy Moody and Stink: The Big Bad Blackout The cover of this one is quite a treat-glows in the dark!

Ricky Ricotta's Mighty Robot (Book 1) I love absolutely any book that Dan Santat illustrates and the new illustrations in this series are incredible!

Whatever After #5: Bad Hair Day  Half my class fell in love with this series
early in the year.  A perfect fairy tale series for 3rd and 4th graders.

Go Fetch! #5 (Magic Bone) This is a series my students taught me about.
They LOVE it. A funny concept and perfect humor for 8 and 9 year-olds.

Babymouse #18: Happy Birthday, Babymouse What could be better than another Babymouse book!

Invasion of the Ufonuts (Adventures of Arnie the Doughnut)  These Arnie chapter books are quite a hit.  Perfect length and hysterical illustrations throughout.

Princess Labelmaker to the Rescue: An Origami Yoda Book A few of my kids have just discovered this series and were thrilled to see this one at our book fair.




*Confession:  Today, a student came up to remind me that the we didn't have the newest Stick Dog. I said, "Oh, I'm not sure we'll get that one. Our book budget is about finished." Then I laughed out loud.  Where did that even come from?  What does that even mean? I ordered the book.

3 comments:

  1. Love your confession. If I said that, my husband would dance in the streets. I try to have a budget, but it is blown each month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering about the budget when you said you order from Amazon. Who pays for these books? You are lucky too that you do not have to order through an approved vendor and go through all sorts of red tape for your books. I help order for our school library (I'm a parent volunteer) and we have to order from an approved vendor using an approved computer system.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How do I print this list to take with me to the library? :) (My eyes hurt when I look at my phone anymore...) Taking my kiddos to test some of these out.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.