Monday, August 19, 2013

My Summer Reading Door


The Door
I will apologize in advance for the lighting on these pictures.  It was the best I could do with the way the light was in the hallway. I hope between the dark photos and the captions, you can make some sense of them.

Lots of people have picked up on Donalyn Miller's idea for kicking off the year by decorating their doors with Summer Reading.   I wasn't planning on decorating mine as we don't do it as a school but then @LauraKomos shared her door display on Twitter and I was instantly reinspired!  Instead of doing the work I needed to do, I switched gears and went to my Goodreads account to see what I had read since summer began. I was surprised at how many books I had read and the thought of creating a door display sounded fun.

My hope in this door is for it to be a conversation starter. Many of the books I read this summer were in preparation for 3rd grade so the door will also serve to introduce students to new series and characters they might read in 3rd grade.

I struggled a bit with how to organize the door because I did not want to separate chapter books from picture books. 3rd grade is such a transition year and I know the pressure some kids feel to read books that are too hard for them --carrying around fat chapter books to look cool may begin at this age!

I decided to sort the books in a way that would hopefully start some conversation or jump start some of my minilesson work. I sorted by how I found/why I chose the books.  I like the way it turned out and am anxious to see what kinds of conversations it starts.


Books I Found When Reading Book Reviews

Books Recommended by Friends

New Books by Favorite Authors

Some Great Nonfiction

New Series Books I Discovered

New Books with Favorite Characters







5 comments:

  1. Now that's a fun-looking door :) Great idea...

    ReplyDelete
  2. A good idea--thanks for sharing! By the way, thank you again for the new books you've been sharing in third grade series--We've enjoyed checking them out, too.

    Wishing you and Mary Lee a great start to the school year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Franki, I love this....thinking of my library door and how to be "fire-safe" (we have strict fire rules, ugh!) And since a building which was exactly like ours burned to the ground last year, there is a heightened awareness (never mind that is was due to arson and the lack of fire walls in the ceiling/attic having been built in the 70's)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm doing this, too! I made a poster last year categorized by genre and the kids looked at it all year. I thought it would be fun to make a door display this year. Great minds think alike, huh? :) I love how you categorized your books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6:59 PM

    Your door is great, Franki! I love the way you categorized your books, too. I went with the "less is more" approach to my door, mainly because I always seem to have less time than I need! Have a great year!
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.